Knowing the best commercial sewing machine for the hand sewing industry is important if you want to get into the business. It’s one thing to mend the occasional torn seam, but it’s another if you’re running a sewing business.
You may be able to get by with a simple household sewing machine if you are still running a very small business. They are not, however, capable of heavy sewing all day. For this, you will need a somewhat more heavy-duty commercial sewing machine. You need a sewing machine that can handle your daily needs.
Commercial sewing machines come in a variety of brands. They also vary in price, features, and type. Here are some of our recommendations.
Best Commercial Sewing Machine
SINGER Heavy Duty 4432 Sewing Machine
The best choice: SINGER is one of the most synonymous sewing machines on the market. Over a century of experience in building durable sewing machines is evident in the SINGER Heavy Duty 4432 Sewing Machine. With a stainless steel base plate, powerful motor, super high sewing speeds and a Sturdy metal interior, this machine comfortably sews through a variety of heavy fabrics. Some of its handy features include a thread-top bobbin, built-in needle threader, adjustable presser foot pressure control, built-in storage, built-in 1-step buttonhole, presser feet snap-on and three-needle positions that you can change for individual projects. With a wide variety of creative features, this sewing machine lets you be in charge of your unique projects.
SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 Sewing Machine
Finalist: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 is a portable sewing machine equipped with 600 built-in stitches, including 13 built-in one-step buttonholes and 5 alphanumeric fonts. The machine also has a maximum sewing speed of 850 stitches per minute which allows you to finish your projects quickly. The built-in threader eliminates eye strain and frustration as it threads the needle eye for you.
Brother ST371HD Sewing Machine
Best value: Looking for a durable commercial sewing machine for everyday use? The Brother ST371HD is one of the most versatile machines you can use for mending lightweight elegant silks or sewing heavyweight outdoor fabrics. This machine also has a metal needle plate which allows for smoother fabric feeding. It also comes with 37 built-in stitches for buttonholes, inserting zippers, stretch stitches, and more, giving this exceptional machine even more value. Other handy features include an automatic bobbin winding system, built-in easy needle threader, jam-resistant quick-set upper bobbin and a free arm for sewing sleeves, cuffs and jeans. A cleverly integrated handle lets you move the sewing machine quickly and easily from the table to storage.
Janome HD1000 Black Edition
The Janome HD1000 Black Edition comes with 14 built-in stitches that allow you to easily sew and create the hems you need. It also features a super sturdy build and has a host of easy-to-use features that will give you an enjoyable and reliable sewing experience. The removable storage compartment allows you to turn this machine into a free arm ideal for hemming pants or sewing small openings like a sleeve.
Janome 4120QDC computerized sewing machine
Want to take the guesswork out of the sewing process? The Janome 4120QDC is a computerized sewing machine with 120 built-in stitches and 7 buttonholes that give you the perfect range of stitches for any task. A full LCD display, on-screen stitch editing, automatic thread cutter and easy-to-use control panel give you a smooth sewing experience. This machine also comes with an extension table for additional working and sewing room.
Juki DDL-8100 sewing machine
This is not your usual sewing machine. The Juki DDL-8100 offers you up to 4500 stitches per minute. The machine comes with a sewing machine table and a quiet DC servo motor. Additional items included with purchase include a light, belt, and tools. This machine is a little more expensive than its peers, but it is also very durable and reliable.
Brother CS7000X Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine
The CS7000X has a plethora of handy features and is a great option for both beginners and experienced sewers. Some of the machine’s easy-to-use components include an LCD screen, a fixed needle bar for stability, a smaller free arm for sewing tight projects, a large needle-to-arm workspace, and an automatic needle threader. This machine is also equipped with 70 built-in stitches, including quilting and decorative stitches. Sewing is now super easy with Brother.
What to look for when buying a commercial sewing machine
A commercial sewing machine will come with a variety of add-ons, accessories, and capabilities. They also tend to differ from brand to brand. While there are features you can’t sew without, there are some that might not apply to you and end up adding unnecessary costs. Here are some specific things you need to consider when buying a commercial sewing machine.
- Frame structure: The metal frame is the best option if you are looking for a durable option. Plastic frames are quite common, but they deteriorate quickly and are more difficult to repair.
- Budget: Set a budget before you start buying a commercial sewing machine. Knowing what you want to spend will determine which models and features are available in your price range. Also, be sure to note the must-have features and include them in your budget.
- Type: There are four popular models of commercial sewing machines. Understanding the design you need is key to choosing your machine. Designs are grouped by their available arm and needle shank. “Flats” are often good for sewing flat materials, “Armless” designs work well on short seams like sleeves, “Cylinder-bed” is ideal for cylindrical items, and “Post-bed” machines are used on tough designs such as gloves and boots.
- Accessories included: Most machines come with a presser foot and a bobbin, but some include many more. To get the most bang for your buck, check to see if the machine includes a storage area, buttonhole foot, zipper foot, embroidery foot, and a removable extended worktable.
- Ease of use: Sewing shouldn’t be rocket science. You need a sewing machine that is easy to set up and easy to use.